Unit 1 – getting ready
- Intercultural Competence in English ICE Blended Learning Course
experiencing ambiguity, culture & identity, relationship between culture and personality
- Working out Loud, John Stepper
Class preparation note:
10 things that I learned preparing for Unit 1
- The five elements of an open, generous, connected approach to work and life are:
purposeful discovery, relationships, generosity, visible work and a growth mindset
- Purposeful discovery: choose a goal (simple, you care about) – build a network of
relationships, get feedback, learn about ways to improve/other possibilities – adapt goal
- Building relationships: develop meaningful relationships. Important: generosity (offer something of yourself), vulnerability (admit to failings), candor (be direct & honest), accountability (do what you say you will do), intimacy (get to know people and care about them)
- Small-world networks are like tribes: shared ideas, both strong and weak ties
Your network gives you access to knowledge, expertise and influence.
- Generosity: you offer/serve/help others and both/all have long-term benefits (rational & emotional) =„reciprocal altruism“
The deeper the relationship, the more likely they will help you.
You can have self-interest and other-interest at the same time.
- Visible work: show finished work or narrate work in progress.
Benefits: become more visible, get useful feedback, become more efficient
(solve problems, improve), enjoy work more (more impact, recognition, fun)
- Growth mindset: try to improve and get better.
Self-efficacy: have a strong belief you can accomplish the task/goal.
Guided mastery: gradual, self-paced practice with feedback
- Tipps to get better: permit yourself to make mistakes, ask for help, focus on
own progress instead of comparing to others, progress – not perfection,
examine your beliefs and challenge them
- Intercultural communication: Never be unprepared. You never meet a culture, you always meet individual people. Stereotypes make life easier but are not true in most cases. Politeness plays a central role in communication.
- Sandwich Strategy: soft beginning – difficult part – soft ending. Example:
critical incident with business partner who isn’t showing up for an appointment.
Write e-mail blaming yourself for a possible mistake to save the partner’s face.
like & share: